Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

First Head of the Charles Medal!

I had a fantastic weekend at Head of the Charles 2016.  I finished in my target range (top 2), earned my first HoCR medal, and can look forward to a guaranteed entry for next fall and a more competitive starting position with my buddies towards the front of the lightweight pack.

My prep for the event was right on.  I came out on the Wednesday before on a day flight and stayed at an AirBnB near the course.  I arranged to work from our company's Boston office (shout out to my employer and US National Team Sponsor Liberty Mutual Insurance) so that I could have time to acclimate without eating up vacation days.  Fluidesign had my new boat waiting from me Thursday evening after work, rigged almost perfectly.  Thursday, I did a loop of the course at recovery intensity, Friday morning I did another look with some moderate steady and a few 20s at pace, and Friday afternoon I did a partial loop at hard steady, playing with some junior boys fours.

When Saturday came, I was feeling very rested and ready to go.  I knew how I wanted to steer the course, thanks to some private tutoring from now two-time HoCR champion Andrew Hashway.  Stayed pretty calm for he day, going to the course only to weigh in and pick up my regatta packet (came in 5 lbs under max after breakfast on the day of the race).


Racing by Riverside.  Thank, Igor, for the shot!
I left for the course with some time to warm up on the erg and stretch out.  Got hand on, feeling ready to give my all in the rising winds.  Launching from FALS, I got about half a mile down river when I realized I didn't have my bow card!  I landed at a nearby dock, explained my situation to an official, and sprinted barefoot along the Charles River path back to my trailer to grab my bow card.  End result: I got to the starting chute literally as they were starting bow 1 for my race. Great way to get that adrenaline!

The race itself went well.  It was hard to tell if I was going fast enough.  I was very conservative in my pacing, rating in the low 30s/high 20s and trying to go off of feel and flow.  I swapped some oar paint passing the rower right in front of me before Riverside.  I took the Cambridge arches in Powerhouse to avoid the strong current from the recent rainfall.  When the wind worked to my advantage, I would surge the rate up to try and tap it along a little more.  I was very happy with my course aside from going a little wide around the Big Turn.  However, I was worried that I was not catching Josh Getz quickly enough and that I could see Peter Schmidt off my stern constantly on the attack.  Coming across the line I passed Josh and a pack of heavyweights who had started ahead of us.  I was spent, but very unsure of my performance.  It was some time before I knew my result and it was only when a friend sent me a screenshot that I knew what had happened.

Hugh McAdam rowed a great race, capturing another HoCR title.  I am hoping I can give him a better push next year!