Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Senior Trials

I am done racing for the week, and while I did not get as far as I wanted to in the selection process, I can brag about some major improvements in my on-the-water speed. A new PR of 7:16 in my single, shattering my previous PR by 15 seconds! And a much more efficient style and aggressive mentality all the way down the race course.

My heat this morning was about what I expected. I had some guys faster, some slower, and so I did not get very aggressive (last 500 at a 25 SR!). I resigned myself to the repechage, knowing that I would not be a likely candidate to win my heat. Other athletes I know had stronger performances: Hashway, Campbell, and Ruckman all won their heats and went straight to the semifinal. North had an experience similar to me. New to the Northwest elite sculling world is Nick Trojan - he has some speed and I am excited to see him come along. Lindsey finished 2nd in her heat and moved to the semifinal and Helen finished third and was sent to the reps.

In the reps, I had a very exciting race, rating higher than I ever had before (base pace at 34-35 SR and a starting 20 around 42-44 at one point). Slowly, my opponent inched away and I was unable to get back on terms after the 750, but I fought hard, with my usual mantra when I am down: "push hard, the race isn't over, everyone else could still fade." I was happy with my performance but disappointed in my result. Helen also did not make it to her semifinal, so only Lindsey continues to race from SRC this week.

I look forward to watching the remaining races and planning out my remaining time on the East Coast, the duration of which has yet to be determined.