Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Nationals Recap

While I did not come home with any national titles, my teammate Lindsey Meyer qualified for the U23 National Team in the 1x in a commanding fashion. LUC teammate Michael Wales also had a strong performance, though did not qualify for a post on the U23 team.

This regatta is being chalked up as another learning experience, though I wish I had learned to win. My performance was much stronger and more consistent than at NSR I, but I am still reaching for the grand final finish. I have also significantly exacerbated the tendinitis in my left arm and will begin a physical therapy process to address it.

The new strategy is to work me with more power-based training. We have increased the load on my boat in the hope of getting more run per stroke. While I have been told that I am rowing technically well at this point in the season, I just don't seem to be getting the same amount of run per stroke as my competitors. I wonder how much of this is a lack of horsepower. I am aware that I have lower erg scores than many others in my racing category, but I would not think the difference to be so large as to explain the deficit I had this last week.

Anyway, onward and upward. Next on my racing agenda is British Columbia Championships in a week and a half, then a month later out to St. Catharines, Ontario for Canadian Henley. Canadian Henley will be my next major regatta to check in on my training and how it affects my performance.