Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Off Cycle and 2Ks

This last 3 weeks have been a bit rough for me on the water. I have been feeling like I am relearning how to row, like I can't get more than 10 or 20 strokes in a row with consistent and effective application of power. The last three days, however, saw an abrupt about-face. On Friday, I threw down new 1-rep maxes in the weight room with 190 on the bench press and 265 on squats. I was pretty pumped about this, especially given my floundering workout earlier that morning. Then on Saturday, doing 250s with Lindsey, I started to see a return of some of that explosive power that I had in February that seemed to disappear for the last couple of months.

Today, we did a 2K and I lined up with another lightweight 1x and a lightweight Jr. 2x. On the warmup, as I took some power 10s and 20s, I stopped to double check my speed coach because I thought that someone may have tampered with it. Speed was just coming much more easily at lower stroke rates and I was caught off guard. I rolled with it and along with a renewed focus that I had been building up over the previous 24 hours, I made it down the course in 7:31. Not where I want to be, but leaps ahead of where I have been. It also marked my first 2k victory over my training partner, which will pay off in confidence at later races and training sessions.

I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks as we ramp up leading into the National Championship Regatta in Princeton at the end of the month. I will be rowing solo once again, focusing my energy on the 1x.

As the training group grows for the Summer, it is easier to stay pumped up as the workouts become more challenging.