Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Back Injury

I aggravated my existing back injury last Friday/Saturday with back to back workouts that seem to have pushed my body more than it wanted. I had hurt my back in late March with some lifting and erging workouts that went together followed by some time at work bent over an 8+ for an hour. I rested but continued with as much of the training schedule as I could manage in the lead up to NSR I. The taper also helped it get better, but clearly it was not at 100%. So I am out of action on the water for the near future. I am spending monstrous amounts of time on the bike and in the pool, with some running and lifting to top it off. I feel like I am training for a triathlon! I had a CT scan this week and am going in to get the results tomorrow morning. I am hopeful - the pain responds well to anti-inflammatory medication and feels better when I warm up a bit.

When I am injured (which has happened a few times now), I tend to redouble my efforts in other parts of my life as a way of taking out some of my frustration. I plan out my diet more carefully, do a little more mental training, and try to get some more work in. I always find that working with the Holy Names crowd can take my mind off my own training frustrations as well. They are a good outlet for my desire to produce quality rowing.

I am starting to experiment with a modified Paleo diet to see how it can affect my training and weight management, if at all. I heard that Ann Cummins and Ursula Grobler both use it as a guide for their nutrition.

NSR II is right around the corner - I am curious to see how everything unfolds with the small team boats. Definitely looking to get my act together in the 1x before I aspire to the 2x.