Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Sponsor, New Diet, and Good Back Health

First, I would like to welcome our newest sponsor, Moga Jacobsen Productions. You can visit their website under our list of sponsors. As always, we appreciate our relationships with community entities and are always looking to build new partnerships.

I have started up on the Paleo Diet and already feel a world's difference. Some of the downsides include bonking on the longer, more intense workouts. I need to be cautious and always bring a sports drink with me in the boat, not just water. However, I am pretty sure that the increase in Omega 3s has helped to reduce irritation in my arm and low back. Also, I bought a blender so I can rock out with fruit smoothies now. I think that a fruit smoothie with peanut butter and protein powder will become one of my new staples. Unfortunately, this diet is a bit more expensive so I am looking around for new places to get good deals on groceries.

My back is so much better! I saw my doctor yesterday and we have decided that it was likely a rough bit of soft tissue damage. I still feel a little weak, but the pain has been significantly reduced. I am back on the training schedule now, with only a few modifications to the high-resistance components to allow my back to finish healing.

Today I did pieces with Michael Wales for the first time in a few months. Halfway through we switched boats. The difference in relative boat speed after we switched was huge. I went from being barely up or down to being up by open water. I look forward to some speed tests in the near future to see how much of the was the rig, the boat, and the oars.