Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Monday, July 11, 2011

First Pieces

Today we did our first set of race-rate pieces. I was bow in a coxed four, and we had another coxed four, two straight fours, and three pairs today. We did 1 minute on, 1 minute off at 32 stroke per minute in preparation for the seat races that start tomorrow. I have been in 8+s, 2-s, 4-s, and 4+s since I got here. My favorite rowing has been stroking the 2-. I think that is because it is most like the single in that my individual contributions have the greatest weighted impact, and I don't have to follow anybody; I get to cruise at the 15 to 16 spm that I am used to for technical, steady rowing. Plus the slowness of the boat through the water is easier for me to get used to relative to the 8+s we were rowing in the first few days.

I am pretty pumped up for the selection process. There are so many outstanding athletes here and I am curious as to where I sit relative to them.