Scrimmage

Scrimmage
Early season training session, Fall 2009

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One Week to Trials, Part Un

We are closing in on my last 1x race for the season, upon which the end of the season hinges. I have stopped waking up to join the Riverside crowd. It would probably be good for me to have the company, but with my speed coach and the markers for the 2K course, I can opting for more sleep, more light, and a solo approach to doing pieces. Lots of intervals at or a little above race pace with a ton of rest in the mornings, and steady state with speed bursts and practice starts in the afternoons, with some light biking thrown in as my volume drops off to help with weight management.

We are up to 12 entries in the lightweight 1x, which is funny because I really only see one, maybe two of those guys going for the big win. I guess a lot of guys are thinking the same thing I am, that this regatta can be used as an end-of-season speed test. SRC has two entries in the women's open 1x, best of luck to both. I am looking forward to reuniting with my teammates.

Shout to the U23s from this last week at their World Championship Regatta. Lots of records fell, and the US brought home three medals. Michael Wales's light 4x finished 13th overall, and Liz Robinson's light 4x finished 6th overall. We're all always looking for that next gear.

I got my Head of the Charles entry put in. Still wondering how the costs will get covered this year, but I have some ideas. Dave Smith put in his entry as well - it will be fun to prepare alongside him leading up to the race.

Still tweaking my rig ever so slightly and I think I finally have it set. My work-through is more in line with what I had at NSR I, but with the whole rigger/foot-stretcher system maxed out to stern. Same oars that I used for NSR I, but my seat is not lifted. I have adapted to having the knees in my way again, and might try to go back to something like that for my next season, as I am feeling some small advantages to not being so 'on top' of my foot-stretchers.